The Azerbaijani authorities are acting unlawfully, in blatant violation of international norms from the very outset, and bear the responsibility for killing two Armenian servicemen in Yeraskh and Gegharkunik on 16 August, i.e. violating their right to life, Armenia’s Human Rights Defender Arman Tatoyan says.
According to the Ombudsman, it’s necessary to take into account the context and at least the facts that the armed forces of Azerbaijan:
1. Have intruded into and illegally positioned themselves in the sovereign territory of the Republic of Armenia, specifically in the Gegharkunik and Syunik provinces;
2. Since November 9, 2020, they are physically present on the lands that are legally owned by the residents of Armenia or are part of the communal ownership based on legal documents and property rights (pastures, hayfields, arable lands, houses);
3. They are regularly firing in the direction of the villages, creating a real threat to the life and health of the civilians, and causing damage to property and livestock of people;
4. They are engaged in criminal acts against civilians, such as theft of livestock, illegally attempting to deprive people of their liberty, threatening civilians with firearms, obstructing agricultural activities, etc;
5. Due to their presence in the immediate vicinity of the villages and on the roads between the communities, the free movement of people has been limited (infringed right);
6. Provoke shootings, which stop only after preventive measures taken by Armenia’s Armed Forces. This means that the Armenian Armed Forces protect the rights, life and peace of our residents. Moreover, the Azerbaijani authorities officially state, their armed attacks, threats of war are aimed at exerting an internationally prohibited influence on the delimitation and demarcation processes of borders.
These facts and justifications will be sent to international organizations.